A Building and Civil Engineering contractor that operates exclusively in Gibraltar, Sharrock Shand extends its expertise over a broad range of construction disciplines. We deliver a variety of projects, from small scale works, to projects worth over £7 million. We are proud to count Government and the Defence Service among our multitude of clients that include private individuals as well as corporations.
We are dedicated to delivering excellence in all our construction and business activities. We underpin our services with the principles of integrity and sustainability, believing firmly that through an ethical, professional approach we are able to offer our customers projects and services of distinction.
Our vision is to deliver project after project of exceptional standards, applying our expertise to ensure that everything we do exceeds expectations.
We achieve this through:
- Dedication to construction
- Commitment to customers
- Generating contracts through building relationships
- Accountability and efficiency
- Integrity and ethical responsibility
- Health and Safety
- Environmental and Sustainability Policy
Dedication to construction
Construction to high standards is at the heart of our business. However small or complex a project is, we dedicate ourselves to ensuring the appropriate methods and materials, along with professional workmanship are used to achieve the exceptional results our customers deserve.
Commitment to customers
Every customer receives our focused attention and our commitment to excellence. Through many years of experience in the industry, we understand how important it is for our customers to be able to trust us to achieve what they require. Our professional approach and our integrity in business means that we are perfectly placed to fulfil that trust. Commitment to our business means commitment to each and every one of our customers.
Generating contracts through building relationships
Our good, long-standing relationships with our customers are highly valued by all our team. It is through these relationships that we are able to generate repeat business, and through the quality standards which we apply to each and every project that we grow those vital relationships.
Accountability and efficiency
We understand just how vital it is to ensure that our client’s budgetary constraints are accounted for and met. We work with maximum efficiency, ensuring that all our financial activities are fully transparent and accounted for. To achieve this, we work efficiently, aiming to ensure that everything is done right the first time and that it is achieved in a safe manner. This means that we are reliable both in standards of construction and in meeting time and budgetary requirements.
Integrity and ethical responsibility
We believe that business is best when it is honest, reliable, trustworthy and works to benefit all stakeholders, including employees and the local community. This is why integrity is a core value which underpins all our activities, and why we take our role as employers and in developing the local urban environment so seriously. We treat both employees and the environment with respect and regularly review our business processes to ensure we work in an environmentally sustainable and ethical manner. Employees are one of our most valuable resources, as is our environment. We value our workers and ensure that they are rewarded for their efforts, while making sure they work in a safe manner and can pursue their career options as they aspire to.
Environmental and Sustainability Policy
Sharrock Shand Ltd. is committed to minimising the environmental impact of operations by ensuring that processes and practices are adopted and applied consistently. This policy is resourced as necessary to ensure its effectiveness. We aim to:
- Assess and regularly review the environmental impact of all its operations.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and regulations
- Reduce emissions, prevent pollution and control noise.
- Use natural resources and ensure energy is used efficiently and contribute to sustainable development.
- Set clear, measurable objectives under this policy and review these regularly.
- Encourage suppliers and subcontractors to behave in an environmentally responsible manner.
Sharrock Shand reviews this policy and its effectiveness regularly.
Health and Safety
At Sharrock Shand we take very seriously our responsibility on the health and safety of our workers, our sub-contractors, the general public and anyone affected or coming into contact with our work. We have a detailed policy which is fully implemented by all our teams. We ensure that:
- Site safety audits are carried out weekly on every site that we are working on. Audits are recorded and every issue raised acted upon urgently.
- Regular toolbox talks are carried out on site to keep each member of our teams fully appraised of any issues, and to ensure they each are able to feed back any concerns so that these can be acted upon.
- We regularly update staff training, reviewing training records and training requirements regularly. We also require that sub-contractors’ staff are adequately trained for the tasks that they are to undertake.
- Risk assessments for our work are carried out by competent and suitably trained staff. These then produce method statements for our work that are monitored and reviewed as works progress to ensure their continued adequacy.
Sharrock Shand – The Story
Sharrock Shand Ltd was established in 1988 by Gavin Sharrock and Peter Jackson who together set up the company as a buy-out of Shand Ltd., a UK company which had been active in the Gibraltar construction sector for some 10 years prior to that. Gavin and Peter have since retired, but they are still active in promoting development opportunities for the company and act as consultants to the new Directors. Their many years of experience of the construction industry is an invaluable source of knowledge and skills.
The company works with a wide range of construction services, fulfilling varied contracts from small scale works to works that have been worth up to £7.5 million in value. Works are in large part standard building and civil engineering works, but Sharrock Shand’s range of in-house skills means that it is also perfectly placed to undertake more specialist work, including marine works, geotechnical work, pipelines and highly specialised concrete repairs. Our clients are also varied, and include private individuals, corporates, Government departments and agencies and the UK Defence Services.
This breadth of experience, expertise and in-depth knowledge of Gibraltar’s construction sector means that Sharrock Shand Ltd. can provide a contracting service on major contracts of any value via joint venture. We can also undertake speculative housing development and commercial schemes through our Property Development division.